Spring Break Sale - Limited Time Learn More
Spring Break Sale - Limited Time

Limited Time Offer

We are currently offering special Spring Break discounts!

Prices reflect the discounted prices and is automatically applied during checkout.

The discounts offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Common Conditions

Eyes tear staining again

September 22, 2020, 10:31 PM
Q: I have a white Pomeranian (6lb), she is 2 years old and she has started to have tear stain (like 8-10 months ago). She is always taken angel eyes soft treats and it worked for her before. Until we traveled to spend a month and I forgot to take the angel eyes with us... (she had traveled there before, so it was a familiar place) when we came back from the trip her eyes started staining even though we started giving her the angel eyes again. I clean it all the time and it still hasn’t gotten any better. I read that it helps to change her water to distilled water so I plan on doing that (does it really help?). She has always eaten the Royal Canine (Royal Canin Size Health Nutrition X-Small Adult Dry Dog Food, from Amazon) so I am not sure if it could be her food too, since I read she may be allergic to it(?). Another thing that I read that may help is keeping the area dry by using a little corn starch, should I try that too? So I guess my question is, which would be the best food to gave her to avoid staining, and does distilled water help? Is it a good idea to put a little corn starch on the area to keep it dry?
A: If there is a lapse in treatment with an oral product once you start back it can take 4-6 weeks to see the benefit. Those products do not remove the stain they try to stop additional staining so the previously stained hair has to grow off. I do not feel the food is part of her problem. Purified water is always a good choice. I don’t feel the corn starch will help.