Spring Break Sale - Limited Time Learn More
Spring Break Sale - Limited Time

Limited Time Offer

We are currently offering special Spring Break discounts!

Prices reflect the discounted prices and is automatically applied during checkout.

The discounts offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Common Conditions

Puppy Eating Grass and Weeds

May 6, 2015, 9:49 AM
Q: My puppy is eating grass and trying to eat dandelions (I get the weed before she eats it) but I can't really keep her from eating the grass. Now today she has runny poop is this a side effect?
A: For the most part eating grass, etc is not going to lead to a serious problem. There are some poisonous plants and especially mushrooms but considering how frequently these are available the incidence of significant toxicity is low, consumption of mushrooms from the amanita family would be the exception as these can be deadly. Grazing is mostly a habit and an attempt to help evacuation of the GI tract through vomiting or enhanced propulsion of ingesta through the tract. Sporadic changes in stool character are common but usually self limiting without the need for treatment. If diarrhea or vomiting continued past one day or if her general attitude or appetite are affected please let me know so I can advise.