Spring Break Sale - Limited Time Learn More
Spring Break Sale - Limited Time

Limited Time Offer

We are currently offering special Spring Break discounts!

Prices reflect the discounted prices and is automatically applied during checkout.

The discounts offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Preventive Care

Parasite prevention medication

October 22, 2020, 7:32 PM
Q: I took my 9-week old mini poodle puppy for his first vet visit, 4 days after receiving him and provided the vet the take home care guidelines that I have received along with the current medications, metro and pancur, which I have started both 2 days after arrival. However, the veterinarian has shown much concern on me giving my pup the metro specifically and felt that it was too much medication for such a young pup. Is there a specific reason why this antibiotic is given? Are there side effects?
A: The parasite prevention medications, metronidazole and fenbendazole provided are within the current recommended dosages for puppies. They are safe when given as directed and are part of a rotation of medications that began at 3 weeks of age. They are preventive medications so if your veterinarian performed fecal tests and they were negative you do not need to give them.