Spring Break Sale - Limited Time Learn More
Spring Break Sale - Limited Time

Limited Time Offer

We are currently offering special Spring Break discounts!

Prices reflect the discounted prices and is automatically applied during checkout.

The discounts offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Preventive Care

How to Fly Quietly

January 14, 2018, 10:43 AM
Q: I will be flying soon with my 12 week, 3 pound teacup Pomerania puppy from TN to Texas with a 2 hour lay over in Dallas. I am worried about my high energy puppy getting stressed or barking the whole time. Some people have suggested giving him Benadryl is this safe? And if so how much should I give him?
A: I don’t relay on Benadryl (diphenhydramine) in that situation as it is unreliable. No matter what help you seek you need to try it at home or on a car ride first to determine how a given product affects (or doesn’t affect) your pupppy. The standard diphenhydramine dose is 1mg/pound. There are several “natural” calming agents some of which work on one pup and not another so they should be tried first also. Zylkene is one example that I have used with some success. Probably the product that most veterinarians turn to is acepromazine which is a prescription tranquilizer, is has the advantage of predictability. It also should be tried before the actual trip to determine optimum dose for your puppy.