Up to 35% OFF - Limited Time Learn More
Up to 35% OFF - Limited Time

Limited Time Offer

We are currently offering up to 35% OFF for a Limited Time!

Prices reflect the discounted prices and is automatically applied during checkout.

The discounts offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Training Tips

Potty Training Confusion

December 31, 2016, 8:47 PM
Q: I am confused on the advice for when pup goes potty on floor. do I put her in her cage away from our view? or just another gated area away from our view? As I understand that we do not want her cage to become a punishment area? correct? GOES POTTY ON THE FLOOR? THIS CALLS FOR AN EVEN MORE EXAGGERATED REPRIMAND AND "TIME OUT" MANY PEOPLE WILL PUT THEIR PUPPY IN ITS CRATE. SIMPLY TAKING A NAP DOES NOT REINFORCE YOUR MESSAGE. MAKING YOUR PUPPY STAY PUT BUT BE ABLE TO VIEW FAMILY ACTIVITY OR MAKING HIM STAY ALONE IN AN UNFAMILIAR ROOM FOR 15 MINUTES CAN REINFORCE YOUR MESSAGE. KEY POINTS POTTY TRAINING CAN BE ACCOMPLISHED BY 3 MONTHS OF AGE. SIGNIFICANT PROGRESS CAN BE MADE EVEN SOONER BY INCORPORATING THE THREE CRITICAL ELEMENTS FOR SUCCESS:
A: If you are using the crate as a part of her training routine then it should not be a punishment area. You need a seperate "time out" or "penalty box"