Spring Break Sale - Limited Time Learn More
Spring Break Sale - Limited Time

Limited Time Offer

We are currently offering special Spring Break discounts!

Prices reflect the discounted prices and is automatically applied during checkout.

The discounts offered at this time are not applicable towards past purchases or pending balances.

DoctorPup Complimentary Service

Helpful Videos, Forum Q&A, Articles and more

DoctorPup Logo

Training Tips

Accepting the Crate

January 12, 2018, 2:37 AM
Q: We got our 10 week old westie puppy this week. I noticed that he still pees or poos when let out of the palace when we get home. Is this normal and will he adjust to going in the palace? I live in an apartment and he isnt finish with vaccinations so dont want him outside yet. Should I have other areas outside the palace set up to potty indoors or will it confuse him. Do you recommend using and xpen with the crate now or wait a bit until he is fully trained in the palace. I am a new dog owner and having much anxiety although I know its just day 4...but feel I need to restart. He also cries and whines at first when we put in in...which I can handle. I want to teach him calm crate behavior. Should I give treats when he is calm in the crate? Thanks, Natasha Clinton-Starks
A: The goal is for him to accept his crate and actually learn to like it. It needs to be in a separate area and you should use a cover. The reward for being calm is letting him out but only when you are ready. He needs to learn what your routine is and accept it.