Top 30 Cavapoo Facts You Should Know
Published Friday, February 9, 2024 by Elena R.
Cavapoos are a fan-favorite doodle breed here at Premier Pups. Because we’ve had the pleasure and honor of watching them grow as puppies and seeing them transition into lovely adults through the eyes of our customers, we’ve come to know this marvel of a breed for all that it is – perfection in our eyes.
As leading experts on the world of Cavapoos, we’ve gathered all of our knowledge and put together this easy-to-skim-through crash course on the breed. We hope to help both potential owners and current owners discover all the layers of the Cavapoo and come to love these dogs as much as we do.
Table of Contents
General Cavapoo Facts
Premier Pups Customer Photo of an adorable Cavapoo dog
2. Other names the Cavapoo is casually known as include Cavoodle, Cavipoo, Cavadoodle, Cavidoo, Cava-poo, and Cavadoo.
3. The first litter of Cavapoo puppies was born in Australia around 30 years ago.
4. The purpose of the new Cavapoo breed was to create a new type of dog that combines the sweet personality and friendliness of the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel with the intelligence and trainability of Poodles. Looks were also part of the breed’s purpose, with breeders wanting to create a dog with the Cavalier’s adorable features and the Poodle’s hypoallergenic coat qualities.
5. Cavapoos are bred through multiple generations. You'll find that there are F1 Cavapoos (first generation) which are a 50-50 mix of a Cavalier and a Poodle; F1b Cavapoos (first generation backcross) which are 75% poodle and 25% Cavalier; F2 Cavapoos (second generation of Cavapoos) which are the result of breeding two f1 Cavapoos together, and other generations like F1bb, F2b etc. that are rarer.
6. The Cavapoo is not a breed in itself, but rather a mix of two well-established purebred dogs. Because of this, they are not formally recognized by official breed registries like the American Kennel Club. To become a recognized breed, Cavapoos must correspond to a strict breed standard which dictates looks, size, and temperament. And for now, with the Cavapoo being as young as it is, it is quite impossible as there is much variation between puppies even of the same litter. There are however registries that do recognize the Cavapoo. These include the American Canine Hybrid Club (ACHC), Dog Registry of America, and the Designer Dogs Kennel Club (DDKC).
Facts About Cavapoo Popularity
Premier Pups Customer Photo of a sweet Cavapoo
7. As far as the Cavapoo’s popularity is concerned, these famous dogs are the second most popular hybrid breed in the United Kingdom and the 3rd most popular in the United States. Countries like Australia, France, and Spain also rank them among their 10th most popular dog breeds/hybrids.
8. Given their wide-spread popularity, it’s not surprising that Cavapoos are also a favorite of celebrities. Among the most popular celebrity owners of Cavapoos are Silvester Stallone, Hugh Jackman, Kelly Brook, Pete Davidson, Katty Perry, and Angela Griffin. Swedish royals also have Cavapoos as their family pets.
9. Social media popularity is also something this Poodle mix has been enjoying for quite some time. With over 10 million combined followers on social media, this breed is the talk of the town!
Facts About Cavapoo Intelligence
10. Being part Poodle gives Cavapoos an upper hand when it comes to intelligence. Poodles are the second most intelligent dog breed in the world (no wonder they are called Einstein dogs) and Cavapoos inherit those smarts.
11. Training Cavapoos is often a breeze given their high intelligence and eagerness to please. They don’t usually have a stubborn streak like other breeds, and love learning new things.
12. Dog sports and shows have Cavapoos in their spotlight. Because of their intelligence and trainability, these pooches can be trained to participate in many competitions, from sports to beauty contests.
13. Service work is yet another thing a Cavapoo puppy can be trained for easily. This can include various services fit for smaller breeds.
Facts About the Cavapoo’s Personality
Premier Pups Customer Photo of a cute little Cavapoo
14. The Cavapoo’s temperament is very well balanced. These dogs are calm-tempered, kind, sweet, and eager to love.
15. Therapy dogs are becoming more and more popular, and for good reason. You'll be happy to know that Cavapoos fit all the requirements needed to train a pup for therapy work. These include intelligence, attentiveness, a calm temperament, friendliness, and receptiveness among other things.
16. Cavapoos are one of the favorite dog breeds for families with kids and here’s why: they lack aggression; don’t mind sharing their toys; can keep up with toddler and teen energy; are patient, and form strong, lifelong bonds.
17. Cavapoo playfulness is a treat! They like to zoom, play fetch and hide-and-seek, run, chase, and play tug-of-war. They also enjoy swimming and solving puzzles (with treats of course).
18. Multi-pet households are an ideal fit for the Cavoodle dog. These pooches like to have companions, and four-legged friends are a dream come true for most of them, especially since they dislike being left alone at home.
19. Strangers are friends to be had for most Cavapoos, especially for those that were socialized early. Some Cavapoos can be reserved around new people.
20. Barking is something Cavapoos like to do when they sense visitors approaching. They are not overly vocal, but not quiet either.
21. Pray drive is something that most people don’t talk about when they mention Cavapoos. Though it’s not high, some Cavapoos do have prey drive and will feel the urge to chase after smaller animals.
22. If you love cuddly dogs, you’ll love Cavapoos. These pooches like to call laps their homes. They could cuddle for hours and be at their happiest.
Cavapoo Care Facts
Premier Pups Customer Photo of a cuddly Cavoodle
23. Energy levels and exercise needs can differ between Cavapoos. It's true that most are laid-back and relaxed, but you can also find Cavapoos that take after the energy of their Poodle parent, and poodles can be quite energetic. That being said, an hour of daily exercise will be enough for either laid-back or more energetic Cavapoos.
24. Grooming is a big part of owning a Cavapoo, especially if you want your little dog to look and feel its absolute best. Grooming Cavoodles involves brushing the coat every few days, teeth brushing daily (if possible), and nail-clipping and baths every 4 to 6 weeks.
25. The average lifespan for a Cavapoo is between 12 and 15 years, officially speaking. However, most of these cuties live well past those numbers. The oldest cavapoo lived to be over 20 years old.
Facts About Cavapoo Size and Looks
Premier Pups Customer Photo of a three beautiful Cavapoo dogs
26. Cavoodles can inherit physical traits and features from their parents in equal measure, or more or less from each. Common features include an adorable button nose, round eyes that are expressive and charming, cute floppy ears, and a fluffy tail that is worn upwards and curled.
27. There is no such thing as one size fits all when it comes to the beautiful Cavapoos and their size. They can be small to medium-sized with their height ranging from 9 to 14 inches and their weight ranging from 8 to 20 pounds or more. Things like the size of their parents, more specifically the size of the Poodle used in the mix, whether toy or miniature, has a big say in what the size of the adult Cavapoo will be. Their generation (f1, f1b, f2, etc.) also has a say in the estimated size of a Cavapoo.
28. When you think about Cavapoo colors, you might need a minute to go through all the possibilities if you put the Cavalier’s and Poodle's colors together. You can find merle Cavapoos, white, black, black and white, red, apricot, brown, sable, abstract, phantom, ruby, Blenheim, and many more colors, combinations, patterns and markings.
29. No dog breed is 100% hypoallergenic, let’s get that out of the way. But some dogs are a good match for allergy sufferers because they shed less and produce less dander. Is the Cavapoo hypoallergenic? Our star of the day was created with hypoallergenic qualities in mind. Since poodles are among the few breeds that don’t cause allergies in those with pet sensitivity, they were crossed with Cavaliers to create a spaniel-type dog with a hypoallergenic coat. Most Cavapoos are an excellent match for allergy-sufferers, especially those with curly hair.
30. With every dog comes an ideal owner and an ideal lifestyle. The ideal lifestyle for a Cavapoo dog is one that has both relaxation and adventure. A moderately-active owner, families with kids, seniors, and even first-time owners are ideal for Cavapoos as long as they provide this little pooch with all the time, attention, care, and love it needs to thrive.
From their origins and popularity to their personality and looks, Cavapoos remain, in our eyes, bundles of pure joy. We hope this easy-to-read summary of Cavapoos has helped you get to know and love this doodle breed as much as we do!
What To Read Next
Cavapoos are one of the most popular companion pets for families with kids, singles, seniors, and everyone in between. Why? Because they're just as beautiful on the inside as they are on the outside. It's hard to find a Cavapoo with behavioral problems like aggression... Read More
Winter can be a challenging time for dog owners, as the cold weather can pose a variety of risks to your furry friend's health and well-being. From dry, cracked paws to frostbite and dehydration, it's important to take extra precautions to ensure that your dog... Read More